Fighting a Demon.

You do not have to ask me again, I naively answered .After all, I have known him for almost half my life I never gave it a second thought. You see I have this job opportunity and I will, have a place to live, however, I just need somewhere to sleep for a few days, maybe a couple of weeks, he said.

Just pack your bags and come over, I said. He was living at his parents about two hours away from his hometown .He had moved away after his separation to deal with some personal issues. His kids live with their mother. He wanted to come home,I sensed.
I want to get my life back in order, you know, move back closer to the kids; try to make a go at it .No need to explain, we had not been in touch much throughout the years!
Nonetheless, he was still an old friend and friends are supposed to help friends, which I still believe...
Therefore, the couch is yours as long as you want it, I said. He gave me a hug and said you are truly a great friend I don’t know what I would do with out you , as his eyes filled “with tears of gratefulness’” I hope that if I were ever in the same position someone would do right by me as well, I said. Days went by; I suddenly realized he was not the same person I knew long ago.

I can still remember the twins they were about three. Drop by my place and I will go for a walk with you guys, I said .Every Saturday morning after their mother went to work they made their usual trip down to the lake to get some treats for them. I truly enjoyed this routine.
I was single and he was the only friend I knew that was married and had kids.
I truly embraced our friendship. I remember his reaction as I ran to one of the kids as he precariously made his way a little too close to the curb one time nervous and inexperienced I ran after him and grabbed him..
He smiled and said you will make a great Dad someday.

A friend in need is a friend indeed!
I never imagined how true that phrase would be.
Years later, I was married as well. Our friendship remained .He did not have a perfect marriage, hell I didn’t either, but he was a good father that I was sure of, but than came the dark days. He became a sick man! Afflicted with a debilitation disease,

A family member introduced him to a narcotic, I know this to be true, because this is what he told me and I have to believe what he said .Unfortunately, this particular anodyne was surely the catalyst to his demise , it got worse .I never imagined how bad it really got. The way he described the relentless grasp this monster had on him, the possession, and authority and dominance it had over him, had taken ownership of his body. He was now an addict! In addition, he was now at the mercy of this remorseless overruling hellion.
He described how he engaged in many confrontations with this heinous and abominable fiend. He demonstrated to me how he was fighting a battle of wits. I tried to fight it, so hard he admitted. However, this iniquitous barbarian had taken occupation over his mind and soul as well. Almost as if this evil force challenged his, will for survival, objecting to his demands to exit from his life. My God, I never thought it had reached this level of spartan-ism. I tried through the years to stay in touch. I would call, leave messages, just to say hello. I wish I could have done more, I would have had I known. Hope you are doing well, I would say. Never to hear back from him but I never judged him, after all who died and made me God! I had demons of my own, shit we probably all do; it’s whether we acknowledge them or not. He told tales of his frightfully painful journey into damnation. Still my devotion to helping a person in need was never swayed; it is embedded, deep into my soul. Judge me if you will, I will not judge you, I said!

Therefore, on my couch he slept. Night terrors he said. I heard you making awful noises last night, I cautiously admitted. Yea, I dream a lot about the boys and my ex, he would say. I know what you mean, I have many sleepless nights also, I confessed.However, I know it was more than night terrors
he was going through withdrawal!
I tried to help, but I soon recognized there was nothing more I could do. He was using again. The Demon had his claws sunk deep into his bones and was not going to let go without a fight! I am sorry, I said. There is nothing I can do for you, I declared. You have to get real help, all I can offer you is some food, and a couch and you need more than that.I let him get washed up , gave him some of my clothes that were about four sizes too big, as he held on to the trousers so they wouldn't fall to his knees, I suddenly felt ashamed and sad at the same time. Sad for my friend but ashamed for me, I was essentially kicking him out. What was I supposed to do, you tell me?
When I came home in the morning and you were supposed to be at your new place.
You made your way into my home with out my knowledge and violated my space.
You left me no other option.
I am sorry , truly sorry;
I do hope you are better now.

I will always be your friend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The end is near

Pushed over the edge.

My son is being released from prison