“MY SON PROUD OF HIS HERITAGE”

The phone rang I was asleep on the couch, whispers of soft melodies in my ear. I had fallen asleep to one of the music channels on cable. It rang again; I was in and out of consciousness, as I had only rested maybe two hours the night before. It rang and it ran, finally I managed to reach over and slowly open one eye to attempt to see the caller on my display. It was coming from my son’s mother’s house. Dam, I said to myself! I let it ring again and I quickly thought what if it’s Michael? Rarely a call from him, he is not allowed to, he has confessed to me, but when I pressed talk and I heard that sweet sounding melody that is his voice, I was suddenly awakened. “Daddy” tomorrow is heritage day, he says to me. Can you help me please? I heard his mom in the background yelling, “Don’t even get me involved I want nothing to do with this. What do you need Buddy? I asked. Well daddy you know the homework you and I did a couple of weeks ago about my heritage day and where you come from. Yes I said, but I thought you said you were going to give daddy a call before that and since you didn’t I thought maybe you decided to go with something else.(meaning his moms’ heritage) but I didn’t say that to him. Daddy can you bring me some of those Spanish sweets things I love; you know the ones grandma makes for me? Yes Buddy I said. I would do anything for my child.
I have never made what he was asking for (Tortas Fritas).
A traditional Spanish treat my Mom used to make for us my sister and my brothers when we were young. It was always a treat, they are flat bread made from a simple recipe deep-fried and sprinkled with sugar. Not the healthiest treat but loved by us all when we were kids. I searched and finally came up with one recipe I could work with .I found some simple ingredients in my cupboards enough to make some for his calss. Then drove to my parents, as I was sure they would have some things from the old country that would help with his presentation.
Was he ever happy when he was called to the office and saw me standing there with even more than he had asked for. When I picked him up after school, he was so joyous. He said his teacher told hem it was the best presentation and the best (Tortas Fritas) she had ever tasted, then he proudly told me the kids were fighting for the left over to take home. I beamed the brightest smile I was so proud of him and myself. I helped him and he said his teacher would have given him an A+ if they had planed to mark the presentation. However, no marks were given but he was so happy that she acknowledged all the hard wok his dad had done for him. It was the greatest feeling I have felt in months.
I would give my life for my son.

Comments

  1. such a beautiful story, you are indeed a good father..

    stay strong..
    k

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The end is near

Pushed over the edge.

My son is being released from prison