Pet food recal




Well you can Imagine when the news broke about the pet food scare I was livid!and frightened.But I quickly went on to the Whiskas web site and they confirmed the food she was getting was safe , what a relief.



On to my son's pet Cat. Stripes,"Stripes the Cat"he named her the moment he laid his little eyes on her. We searched high and low for his first pet.

I say his first pet because, this was the first pet he adopted at Daddy's house.He used to have a gold fish at his Mom's place , but sadly it didn't live long.I am not sure how long gold fish normally live, but I know he had him for a couple of years, he once brought him over to my place for a week while his Mom and boyfriend were on vacation.I fed him and changed his water , following careful instructions from , my then 3 year old son. Sadly he passed on to gold fish heaven. His Mom informed me of his untimely passing , but had not told our son.I was surprised because he had just been over to my place and never mentioned it.His Mom is a natural at keeping secrets.(read into it if you wish).
Anyway , I was mortified when I found out, I asked her how did he take the news?
Oh he doesn't know , she said with a grin.Are you going to replace it before he notices? I foolishly asked.
No! she exclaimed.They are too much trouble.Too much trouble? a little creation of God that is so small it fits in the palm of my three year old sons hand. She said oh yeah you are not the one feeding him , and changing his water.
I wondered , how much does a tiny little fish eat? and how often must you change their highly polluted water?

Well, I never mentioned it to him and I am not sure what fibs his mom told him, but he has never mentioned it to me either.

He was always interested in all my stories as a child, the pets I had their names their color.He wanted to know it all . I promised that if he was a good boy Daddy would get him a Kitty for his upcoming birthday.
He was turning six, a big boy I said . You will be able to take care of a pet on your own, won't you? I asked him.
Daddy you silly , of course I can ! Besides you will help me, won't you Daddy?
I laughed then I hugged him tight.I promise buddy , when you are not here I will love her and take care of her for you.
The love in his heart the glitter in his eyes and brightest of smiles , what a joy a pet can bring to a child.Something to take care of , something to be responsible for, something to love and to receive love from.

He gets in the car every visitation and the first thing he says always , how is Stripes Daddy? did she do anything silly?

I do hope that if he ever reads this he doesn't mind that sometimes I stretch the truth (just a little) it's worth it you see, just to see him smile and hear him laugh when I tell him about his pets latest escapade.

We arrive at the house and the first thing he does is hug her he kisses her and caresses her , than fills her water bowl and gives her dinner , as he says.
He is careful at times not to get too much cat dander on him , because his mom once complained about it.
How sad!
She never had a pet, I know this ,well because she told me so.Her parents would never allow it "they are dirty and bring home deceases"
her Mother would say.

There have been many close calls with Stripes. Since she is an inside kitty , we are very mindful of her getting out.
She has pulled some great escapes I tell you, she would make Harry Houdini proud.
(The greatest escape artist that ever lived)just in case you didn't know.

I was horrified once when a friend came over and she sneaked out between my friend's legs, well that's it ,she was gone , I thought.
How am I Going to tell my son? I was so angry and so sad .
It wasn't my friends fault but I did snap at her a little (Sorry).
But I was already preparing myself for what was coming.I had to break this little boys heart.How in the world could anyone brake this kind of news to a child?

A couple of hours went by, I was sitting at my front steps.My friend had already left . I am sure I wasn't good company that afternoon , I don't blame her for leaving.
In the distance I noticed something near a bush in a neighbouring house .
I slowly approached it , Stripes! Thank you Lord I said.
It would not be an easy task bringing her home , for this now wild jungle cat ,as I am sure that was what she thought of herself by now, " I am free and I will not be captured" she said or she might have just said meow , I really don't remember.
I slowly sneaked up behind her , I literally dove into the bush , grabbed her back legs and dragged her out . I quickly brushed the leaves and twigs off of me , looking around thinking the cops must be on their way for sure . I must have looked like a mad man . Sneaking up onto the neighbours bush ( or hedge for those of you that have their mind in the gutter) and then diving right into it not even thinking about the beating I was sure to receive from the shrubbery, I closed my eyes and felt the brush tearing at the skin on my arms and face.
What else could I do? I had to do everything in my power , right there and then ,to avoid my son's heart from breaking.
Not to worry I survived , with a few lacerations to my body, but alas Stripes was back home.Just another story to tell my son I thought.
Thank goodness this "Tail" (yes I know how corny ) this one had a happy ending.


To my son , I love you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pushed over the edge.

The end is near

My son is being released from prison