"A bag full of cuddlies"


"A bag full of cuddlies"

Daddy, Mommy said I should let you know that she has a bag full of cuddlies she wants you to take home. (That is what he calls his stuffed toys). Cuddlies, he has called them that, since he took his first step towards one.
Another bag, I said. Yes, she wants you to know it will be outside the door, when you drop me off tonight.
This is a constant process repeated several times a year.
However, what can I do, every time he asks if he can bring one home for the night? This one is my favorite and he helps me go to sleep, this other one keeps the other company and this one, well you get the picture. They all are his favorite. Nevertheless, what is a father to do? You have this little boy growing up so fast right before your very eyes. You know, I can still remember the day he was born. After that incredible experience I had in the delivery room, I could not look at him without shedding a tear. Every single time for at least a week until he was able to be at home and I knew he was safe, I cried!
I cried the moment I saw him, the very second I held his tiny little body in my arms.
I cried; well simply because he was my son! Every day I thank the Lord for blessing me with this beautiful gift.
Now , eight years later I still cry. Now I cry because he is not in my arms, because I do not see him everyday. So many of us take for granted the time we have with each other. I sometimes see parents get angry with their children, because they either talk too much, make too much noise or just simply, seem annoyed by them . I know, children can challenge your utmost patience. I am very well aware of the turbulent times, when they are small. The constant worries, the sleepless nights that followed the trips to the emergency room, because of a dangerously high fever.
I know it all I too am a Father! Likewise, I also took it for granted, yes I did!
Now, only God knows how I long for those times. The times when he would wake up in the middle of the night crying for daddy, the nights when I would have to lie down with him for hours it seemed until he was sound asleep , at times he would fall asleep in my arms and my arms would cramp up , the pain I felt I remember it well. I long for the mornings when I would have to wake up early to pack his bag, rush him to the sitters, and barely make it to work on time. I long for the nights when he would wake up and call out, DADDY! I would rush into his room to find him asleep. Those certainly were by no stretch of the imagination, demanding times,
There were many challenging times! Many times, I questioned my ability as a Father. My ability to cope with the new role that life had bestowed upon me. Times when all I asked for was a moment of silence, just one full night of sleep.
Now here I am, waiting for his next visit.
God how I would give up all my sleeps for the rest of my days, if I could just have those times again.
What can I say to my son, when he asks to take a toy home, I know how annoyed and upset his Mom will get.
Get rid of them! She would say. Just give them away! She demanded.
I cannot, I simply cannot and will not allow him to grow up faster than time demands. He is a child and he is my son. In my eyes he always will be, that tiny little baby I held in my arms.
Daddy I will always love my cuddlies and I will never get rid of them, he often reminds me. Than I see the look in his eyes and I know the question they are silently asking and I always answer the same.
You will never have to worry; Daddy will always have room for your cuddlies!

To my son with love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pushed over the edge.

The end is near

My son is being released from prison