War!



Why is our country at war my son recently asked? We are not at war! I answered.
Then instantaneously it hit me, we are at war! Funny how, unless we witness the devastations through our own blind eyes we just extricate the thought and abandon the memory. Make it dematerialize we do by simply changing the channel, which is easy for us to do. Ignore it; tune into some inane, mindless innocuous production, what ever it takes just to make it disappear. My eight year old seems to be more aware of his surroundings than I am. How can I be so benighted? Am I that bewildered? Contrarily, I am fighting my own war and have no time for any other I try to persuade myself. Yet even with my own self-inflicted ignorance, I cannot forget about the senseless butchering and slaughter of young lives. I hear it every day and yet I need to be assiduously prompted by a child to recall the atrocities’ going on in the world today and yes "fuck we are at war"! I say to my self. Then I have to ask why? I forget why, did I ever know why?
We seem to be so complacent so self absorbed with our own righteousness and our own pettiness, forgetting is easy looking the other way seems the only option. Yet I have to face it, the world seems to be at war, we seem so accepting of our own possible annihilation. Our own neighborhoods are at war! Killings are rampant, everywhere, young punks so callously running amok , so unfeeling that taking a life is no more important than deciding what music they will play in their I pod on that day.
What are we? Where am I? Is this the same world, I brought my son into?
The blood shed! The young men and women, never to return to the warm embrace of their loved ones ever again. How could I forget all this?
I never thought of myself to be so selfish, but I guess I am. I must be I have no one else to blame. I do not even turn on the television most days. The news is nothing more than a glorified sleazy tabloid. Death destruction chaos seems to be selling more advertising then sex. Is there no news at all other than the atrocious news clips they play?
I sit here alone in the darkness on cold steps looking out into the night sky, a nicotine patch on my left shoulder and a cigarette in my right hand my son safely asleep and I sit here and wonder why and how is this all possible, my thoughts are stirred my heart aches again . I am confused and I am so distraught. I am fighting my own fucking war here. I am at war every single day of my life .Why are we at war. For peace, they say. What fucking peace? It looks like anything but. Body parts everywhere, children, and women in despair. Families, torn apart forever, dreams shattered, Moms Dads sons, and daughters never coming back. What peace?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pushed over the edge.

The end is near

My son is being released from prison