THE HIKE.



For the first time in my life, I find myself truly alone. No friends no companion and my family have never been so distant. I look around and I have come to the sad realization that I have no one to depend on. This morning while reflecting on this sorrow, I decided to go for a walk. A leisurely stroll through some woods a hike if you will. There was only one other car in the park lot, the woods were dense with the dry upheaval of winter. No greenery insight, not a single leaf, or any signs of any other life, not even a sound.
Spring is in the air the sun brightly shone through some of the forest decay. However, the harshness of the brutality that is our winter was all around me. Frankly, I found it soothing but frightful at the same time. It seemed Mother Nature had not yet found the time to graze this masterpiece with the gentle strokes of her artist’s brush. Alone I walked, I was glad to be alone, yet hoping to find someone else in this desolate place.
Out of the corner of my right eye, I noticed some greenery. I noticed the sun shining on this area as if somehow lighting the way for me out of the sadness of this forest. That was what I was feeling sadness, in what otherwise would be a beautiful canopy of green just a few weeks from now. I followed the path that led to the light. I felt a sudden rush of adrenalin and a desire to live. As if nature had, her hands tightly gripped around my neck and I suddenly broke free and was now able to breathe. I pressed on with my journey; this was the first time I walked alone as long as I can remember. I am happy sometimes to be able to decide for myself what I chose to do. Other times I face the reality that I make those choices now unwillingly. ”How sad”!
The walk was brisk I felt free and I felt liberated and independent. Yet I longed to run into someone, ashamed to admit to myself how lonely I felt.
I came upon a quarry I could not believe it. The color of the water was a sapphire blue , the sun shone over the area as if spotlighting it. I walked up to the top of a cliff, noticed a piece of wood in the water, and saw something that appeared to look like a metal hook or something of that nature on it. I cautiously walked to the edge of a rock. I wanted to investigate further, what I had just seen. When I realized to my amazement this object I mistook for a hook was actually a very large black snake basking in the sun.
I stood there gazing upon it with aw and amazement.
It never moved, the sun burning its skin and yet it relished and welcomed the fierceness of the all mighty sun.
I kept on with my hike, now having found another sign of life I was suddenly realizing I was trespassing on nature’s territory. Aware now that others shared this path with me I felt somewhat alarmed. Now every sound was apparent every movement I made, every step I took through the brush, silenced by the giant figures that towered above me. The wind was picking up and I could see the sky was changing to a frightening shade of gray. I could smell the storm the sky was brewing up. All kinds of thoughts rushing through my head. What if something were to happen to me, how long could I survive if I got lost, How long till someone anyone came looking for me? I could be here for days no one would report me. No one knows I am here, no one would suspect if I did not show up tonight. I thought to myself, as I looked around and saw nature’s fury. Down trees everywhere, I witnessed as the wild winds made the trees dance and grind against each other. The sound of it made my spine shiver with fear. I suddenly remembered a story a couple of years back, how a small boy was out on a school field trip then a sudden gust of wind toppled a tree over him killing him instantly.
My God, I need to get out! I was now aware that I was truly lost. Every trail I took led to a dead end. No signs no markings anywhere. Who was driving that other car I saw in the park lot? I never saw a soul nor heard from anyone. They must have left already. Maybe, these armies of giants above me have swallowed them up, will I be next? I must get out!
Sweat now profusely pouring down my face .Desperation was starting to creep in; this is truly, what it feels like to be scared.I was at the point where I felt my hike had turned into a jog; perhaps cowardly admit , I even ran.
I found a large path that told me it must be the main way into this abys. If the path led in , it must also lead out as well. I finally noticed another car park; although not the starting point of this adventure where I had left my vehicle, I was still glad to stumble upon it.
I made my way out onto a main road.
Rural Rd # 4 the sign read. I knew where I was, but I also knew I was way off course.
This road led to a main road, which is more like a two lane highway by the speed the cars and transports travel .I walked south on a makeshift sidewalk bordering a culvert. The whirlwind created by the transports edged me slowly onto the road .I have heard of stories where people have been killed by oncoming traffic after being sucked into the hollows created by these monsters of the road.
I steadied my self and prayed for my life when one after another went by. Hours later, I finally reached the entrance of the lot where my car was parked. Desperation was now replaced by admiration and adulation. I had survived this journey, as I will survive many more .This frightening but successful experience just one of many more to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pushed over the edge.

The end is near

My son is being released from prison